11.12.2008

Wine Box Display Case...

Did you know that you can get empty wine boxes for free at Costco?? I'm sure that you can get them free at other liquor stores too, but since I don't usually go to those, and I'm at Costco way too often I picked some up from there...

This project was months and months in the making. Several headaches later (it's my own fault really...) I finally have these little display shelves done. I saw this project over at Design Sponge a million years ago, and even blogged about it here, so it's been a project in the making for a while.
First I stained the boxes to make them the same color as the furniture in Tru's room. Then I did what Design Sponge suggested and found some cute paper and modge podged the inside. I didn't like it... I couldn't stand it!! I thought that the paper I picked looked cute, all the colors matched his room... but it was a bit too colorful/wild/retro for me. I like things a little bit more simple... Plus, instead of the paper going on smooth it was really bumpy, and I didn't like that look.


So I tried to scrape all of the paper out of it, but that was taking a million years and it wasn't coming out very easily. So one day at Costco... I just picked up more boxes. I have plans for the other ones still, don't worry...

Here are the finished boxes...



Instead of using paper I just painted the inside white and added these little stripes... my stripe inspiration was from a piece of scrap booking paper that I liked... I got the blotchy look by just using a sponge to paint the stripes in. Don't tell the other box... but this one is my favorite.

Sorry that story was WAY TOO LONG, I'll show pictures of them when I get them up on the wall and put some of Tru's cute books and nick knacks in them...

4 comments:

RazakFamily said...

SUCH a cute idea! I am totally going to steal it and use it ... if you don't mind. I have been trying to think of some ways to put things up on the walls...and now I know!!

*Amy* said...

Ok Sis.....If you ever feel the need to come up with cute ideas for my kids rooms...feel free :)

Mindy said...

Those turned out so cute. I love them! I can't wait to see what you do next.

stef j. said...

thanks for the inside scoop! i'm seriously doing that ... i've been trying to find some creative storage space.